Wednesday, May 30, 2007

God had B.O.

It happened again. I went to pick up some “To Go” food and as I was waiting on my order some carpenters came in. You could tell they were carpenters by their truck, gear, tool belts, but also by their sun burns, leathery faces and b.o. they literally stunk up the place.

But…I couldn’t help but think that this was the trade of Jesus.
It was the tradition of Jewish boys to take up a trade in their teens and typically it was that of their father. There’s some conjecture and deductive reasoning here but since Joseph isn’t mentioned in the adult ministry years of Jesus, whereas his mother, brothers, and sisters are (Mk. 6:3) its probably a safe bet that his father had passed away…meaning that the eldest son would bear the responsibility.

Wait a minute…Jesus a carpenter? We glamorize it today but shouldn’t the Son of God be a synagogue ruler like Jairius, or maybe at least a scribe? I don’t know for sure how to process the fact that God was out on the roofs pounding nails. Shouldn’t He be doing something more important like … I don’t know, almost anything? And then I wonder, would I have missed Him? I mean if He would’ve come to Scottsdale would I have overlooked Him bc He was pushing a mop in Taco Bell rather than teaching in a seminary? or would i have discredited Him bc he had an accent (like the Galileans) or supect credentials ("nothing good comes out of Galilee)? So, when you see those guys out this summer – remember, that whatever season of life you’re in right now, rather mundane or glamorous, for a season, God swung a hammer. May we be faithful in whatever season we're in (Ps. 1:3).

7 Comments:

Blogger A.PETH said...

my friend, first...the title of your post...is...well...perfect.

and, not to leave a really fluffy/happy/sappy comment...but this post really spoke to my heart tonight after reading it, so thanks.

talk to you soon..and keep on picking up that to-go food!

12:04 AM

 
Blogger Wild Yaker said...

Or he could have been a undocumented construction worker from say... Mexico (Galileans).

1:45 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks, B! I so needed to read that this week especially. This is such a good reminder. God doesn't have us in our jobs for our torture or even for our enjoyment necessarily, rather for His glory and to make disciples! I ran into a guy recently at a church service who I used to work with about 3-4 yrs. ago. At the time I worked with him he was involved in a homosexual relationship. Now, he's a Christ follower! God changes hearts and nothing, no barrier or lifestyle, is too difficult for Him. He doesn't need us to accomplish His plan of salvation, but He chooses to use us where we are currently!(I know I'm preaching the the choir here) I can't help but wonder who the final link in the chain was leading this ex-co worker of mine to Christ. We have such a purpose for Christ in our jobs no matter what we do. That was such an encouragement to me that our labor for the Lord in our jobs is not in vain! We are out in the trenches for His glory! We never know what He is doing behind the scenes through our words, prayers and examples. I'm sure we all have stories such as this we could share.
I continually have to ask God to align my attitude and heart with His will concerning my work. Jesus commissioned us to go out and make disciples, and that includes every corner of the world including the humblest of jobs. I'm sure we can all agree that we want to hear the words "Well done good and faithful servant" someday.

6:46 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

B, you know i'd never really thought about the accent thing before. Maybe its because of all the movies but I tend to think of him with a perfect and polished British accent...great post

9:52 PM

 
Blogger TowerAZ said...

Growing up (Catholic) I was taught the Bible was true, but was only really important because it was historical fact - I just love realizing now that my eyes are opened that the bible is alive and new every day, and there's something to learn today, in 2007, from the people and their stories. Thanks for your honesty about the way it really was so we can picture Jesus alive, real, like one of us - the way the Father intended us to see him, a LIVING, BREATHING example of how we are to live.

6:17 PM

 
Blogger Maggs said...

wow...bobby...you're so good at posing the questions/comments we need to hear and think on! jesus as a stinky carpenter...jesus as a newborn baby being laid down in a stinky manger? what's that all about?
what i love about the way he came and lived is that he went against the grain...in humility and service to His father for the greater good of the Kingdom! he did the unthinkable and His life and occupation challenges us to understand and reach out to the lowest of the low; to those we choose not to understand; to those we'd much rather ignore; ultimately to those who need our love the most...Jesus calls us to step out of the "christian castle" so that we may encounter and see things/people/situations that make us uncomfortable. the drunk, the struggling single parent, the homosexual, the homeless person on the street corner...do we reach out and meet them where they're at or do we put our blinders on and turn up our noses in snooty disregard?
sometimes the comments and or behavior of others rubs me the wrong way because folks aren't choosing to see where that individual is. their inability to take a moment, step back, and think for a just a moment....about....what life might be like for that person. its easy to tell others what they're doing wrong but it takes a much stronger person to hold their tongue and allow that individual to be where they're at.
jesus came down from the castle and walked around in the cruddy waters of the moat to hang out with those who needed Him most. can we say that? can we say that we would welcome such folks into our lives....the married gay couple, the drunk, the gargabe man, the troubled tatooed and grunge dressed teen? think about it...why do some stay in the castle while others venture out? jesus taught us the most by hanging out with the worst. thank you Lord for coming just as You did !!! thank you double b for making us think....so that we may grow.....

1:15 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Incredibly convicting B. I hope I wouldnt have missed Him but based on what you said, maybe I would have.

1:57 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home