Friday, December 15, 2006

Me too Amy

No lobster, no limos, no fancy napkins …no dirty dancing. White water rafting outside the Andes and playing tennis on the clay courts of Argentina were certainly highlights but one was higher. Earlier this month I was invited to do a wedding for some friends of mine, Sergio and Daiana in Argentina. I have a love-hate relationship with weddings. I’ve honestly lost track of how many ive been too, but probably about a 100 (seriously). I hate the same old/same old and yet I absolutely love how it illustrates the return of Jesus for the Church and always imagine what That party is going to be like. This Argentina wedding was, for me, one of the better illustrations of that because it was simple and it was (for lack of a better word) pure. And I’m not just talking about the fact that the women were dressed classy, not sensually. Nor was anyone tipsy from too much alcohol. What I’m talking about is the love and simplicity in it. It was outdoors and began at 8PM, but because it was in Argentina it actually started at about 9:10PM. The anticipation of the bride’s arrival was more intense than any suspense thriller or world cup match but, she didn’t get out of a limo. It was a regular car yet she radiated when she stepped out. By 1am Orion was perfectly overhead and not far from the wedding site was a river running down from the Andes, which sounded (I know this sounds like a romance novel but I’m not exaggerating), but this river sounded something like wind chimes. They partied until 3am, but without alcohol. The decorations were hand made mostly from magnolia tree branches. Most of the women’s dresses were hand-made and they were beautiful and classy. On the trip home i was sampling some old WoW cds for ipod download and came across an old Amy Grant song, that i'd somehow overlooked the lyrics all the other times i'd heard it.
Simple Things:

“I remember how I used to want it all
Funny how the big things seem so small
I dream of simple things
I can believe in
Like the feeling this day brings
True love and the miracle of forgiving
I believe in simple things.”

…you know what? Me too Amy.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful Bobby! And how about bringing that simplicity and pure devotion into our celebraion of Christmas? Meeting our grown up Jesus in that stable and humbly asking His presence into every day from now through the 25th...
I love your fresh and beautiful perspective Bobby!
Miss you bro,
Jenn

7:26 AM

 
Blogger A.PETH said...

this post put a smile on my face Bobby. I'm not one for weddings...its just that usually they're all the same....but I can see this one was different.

there is something different about authenticity isn't there?

10:49 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Simple…….pure……genuine…...hmmmmmmm…..hard to find these days! Seems as though our busy secular world has lost sight of what truly matters but push all the obligations and responsibilities aside and you will find it. Sometimes we get so tied up in our “to do” lists that we overlook the beauty around us. We allow the craziness of our days to deter us from seeing the true desires God has placed in our hearts. Every so often, I find myself wishing that I could travel back to a simpiler time; a time when family and community mattered more than the next raise, nicer car, and or bigger house. Every once in a while something magnificent will touch our hearts and it’s in these wonderful moments that we experience the beauty that God has sown all around us. We see and hear it in the sounds of waves crashing upon the sand…..in the beautiful pink and purple hues of incredible sunsets….in the glimmer of our eyes and the giggles we laugh when experiencing a new found love ….yeah…..simple and genuine are always worth waiting for because it’s these things that are stamped with the handprint of our wonderful Maker. I believe in simple things and if I set aside the appointments, errands, and other things that pull at me throughout the day I will see them but what’s even BETTER is when I stop and stand still because that’s when I FEEL them!

11:46 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, the simple things in life are most precious. I heard on the radio that a couple was doing the celebration of Christmas and it was Jesus that was bringing their children's gifts instead of Santa Claus. Their children were so excited about Jesus. Personally, I liked this idea much better than the tradition of Santa bringing us presents.

7:54 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wish i couldve been there. i'm sure some of it was just cultural but I think i prefer their culture. The bar is so high I dont know how my future husband is going to pay for everything ;) j/k. Some how with all of the cosmetics, "dirty dancing", and one ups womanship, we've lost much of the soul of the wedding ceremony. Glad you had a great time and welcome home.

4:09 PM

 
Blogger cindi said...

I'm so with you...

2:42 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home