Thursday, September 21, 2006

You Dont Practice What You Preach...do you

I had just finished preaching and there were several people waiting up front to speak w/me. Out of the corner of my eye I saw my father making his way towards me. He tends to sit in the back and towards the exit. I guess he wants to be prepared to make an early exit – just in case. He was wading through a sea of about 350 or so people heading for the exit. Although I was having conversations with people I was simultaneously nervously watching as he was having a hard time making his way to the front…going against the flow of the whole church. He was determined and then he even cut line in front of a few people who were waiting to speak w/me.

He shook my hand (no hug-he was a career Navy man of 20 yrs), but shook my hand with a very firm grip, looked me in the eyes, and with mist, not quite tears, in his eyes, said, “I love you son.” Everything froze. There was all this commotion of people coming and going, conversations, volunteers getting ready for the next service, but For Dad and I time stood still. It choked me up some and I could barely get the words out, “I love you too dad”. He just stood there, looking me in the eyes, looking into each other's soul and then he turned and left. Simple. Mostly non-verbal communication. But it was a non-verbal that was shouting, singing. A few people were still there waiting to talk to me and we did. But as we talked I watched him all the way as he left the building, now fighting his way out as people were coming in for the next service.

I know that Christmas is still several months out but it sort of reminded me of Jesus coming to earth…for me personally. You see Deep Down inside I have always had some difficulty (not theologically but personally-know what I mean?) understanding that Jesus would die just for me, that he had me, Bobby Brewer on his mind at the cross. I’ve preached that before and ive even said it probably 500 times or so while giving gospel invitations…(you know the drill-“and even if you had been the only one person on the planet, Jesus would’ve come for you!) but it was something I had always believed in my head (theologically) and not in my heart…that He, Jesus, would make His way through a sea of people Just To Get to Me. Cut in line even. Would Jesus really die just for me? Don’t get me wrong, I have no problem with Jn 3:16. That’s easy, but would He really do it just for me? And now, only now, after close to 15 yrs of ministry did it genuinely go from my head to my heart that He went through the brutality of crucifixion to...get to me.
Know what I mean? Don’t get me wrong. I was born again when I was 20 realizing I was a sinner and in need of God’s forgiveness which only Jesus could offer. and indeed I was totally transformed but … but just for me?

I hope that the Holy Spirit, if He hasn’t already, will give you a head to heart experience like this too that Yes, just for you and there’s the Non-Verbal of the Cross to communicate it. Nate Hughes has a cool tradition. Once a year he watches the Passion. I’m going to start doing that too. And remember that, maybe it sounds a bit selfish, but yes, just for You.

I’m going to be Argentina again, then I have some stuff with Baldwin to do and then one other trip and so I will have to blog at you later…

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i know what you mean. thats the way i was when i saw the passion. i said, i dont ever want to sin again. i cannot beieve he did that for me. there was one part in the movie where i felt his eyes were looking straight at me. that was my head to heart moment. have a safe trip and hurry back.

11:39 AM

 
Blogger Ordinary Radical said...

Cool story my brother..thanks for being vulnerable. I miss you a lot! The heart/mind connection is quite a concept, huh!!

8:05 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had a distant relationship with my dad. Nevertheless, I always knew he loved me and was proud of me. He never told me he loved me, but he showed me in so many ways. Your mention of Stephen Baldwin made me think about a radio interview he did with Mancow and he spoke of a similar moment with his Dad.

Also, Bobby, are you going to be in that new reality show Stephen Baldwin is doing on starting his new Breakthrough ministry? I think it is really cool that the gospel is going to be preached on a secular network. That can only be described as a "God thing".

8:42 AM

 
Blogger Bobby said...

Hi Tami, good to hear from you. I dont know yet about all the details regarding Brother Baldwin which will be on vh1 in the winter, but i do know that stephen hopes to use it to introduce people to the gospel and to breakthrough. he'll be at eternal books on thursday 4-7, sept 28. keep us in your prayers. miss ya y hasta en october.

9:39 AM

 
Blogger nate hughes said...

I didn't cry, but I got close. Father-Son stuff always gets me...Thanks for sharing. It was so vivid. You are a great writter.

Also, thanks for the shout out. Every Good Friday before Good Friday service I watch the Passion. Did it here in the Czech this year too! I don't like watching it, but it is a great reminder of what my sin did to Jesus and what the Cross did for me.

1:29 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Because I had such a love splash and then soaking when I was saved, I really can't picture the millions of millions that Christ has saved. My eyes are locked onto his and it is an eternal deep and enduring connection, something I never had with my Dad. He, a coach and Marine Captain, wanted boys. I was the 3rd of 4 girls and my dad, perpetually sad that he didn't get what he wanted, was there but detached, almost worse than not being there at all. Yet, in a chance encounter orchestrated by my heavenly FATHER, I have been assured that my Dad was saved shortly before his sudden death when he was just 57. Now I can look forward to meeting him as my brother when I see him again. We are all so fallen, it is just incredible that Christ's perfect and healing Love can be all we need, specifically and intricately engineered for all of the millions of millions that he locks eyes with. Jenn

7:21 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ya know on the radio, when the guy in the Lennox financial commercial says "it's the biggest no brainer in the history of earth" ??? ... every single time I hear it I think to myself ---"well actually it's the second biggest no brainer in the history of earth" ... #1 one will always be salvation through Christ. I miss you Bobby Brewer ... their making lunch everwhere in this town --- let's get together and eat some of it man.

10:13 PM

 
Blogger cindi said...

Thanks for sharing that moment. It was beautiful.

12:19 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home